Eastleigh Christmas Meet Report
On Friday and Sunday evening, swimmers from all our squads, plus some visiting competitors from Romsey and Southampton, took part in our Club Christmas Meet in our home pool at Places Leisure Eastleigh. This was an opportunity for our swimmers to compete against their closest friends and rivals, to try and achieve PBs and, for some swimmers, to win medals and aim for County qualification times.
It was great to see so many parents and grandparents in the viewing gallery cheering on our swimmers and to see the swimmers supporting each other from poolside. To hear stories from our youngest swimmers about how excited they were to take part in their first competition and to win their first medals is really terrific and we hope this is the first competition of many for those young athletes. It was great to see the progress that swimmers from all squads have made since our last club meet in the summer.
We even had one young swimmer from our J3 squad, Hamza, top the British rankings in his age group for 100m breaststroke, achieve 2nd place nationally for 50m breaststroke and 4th place for 50m backstroke. What a great achievement!
There were too many great swims to list here, but I will mention some of the swimmers that caught the eye with their achievements:
- Alex (J2) made the top 15 in the national rankings for his excellent 50m butterfly.
- Harry (Junior Performance) showed great stamina and determination to complete his first ever 400m IM.
- Sophie (J3) swam an excellent 50m butterfly to take 4th place in her first ever butterfly race.
- Recent joiners to our Junior Squads, Billy (J3), Ben (J2) and Harriet (J2) all won their first medals for the club.
- Freddie broke a long standing club record held by club legend, Oliver Summers, in the 50m butterfly.
- Freya was delighted to swim an excellent 100m freestyle and hit a personal target time.
- Verity broke the 5 minute barrier for the first time in her 400m freestyle.
- Will (Swimfit) swam another impressive freestyle race having only started racing competitively a couple of weeks ago.
Massive thanks to all the coaches and volunteers that helped officiate and organise events poolside, all those who worked behind the scenes to organise the meet, everyone that ran the medal desks, results desks and cake desks, our excellent announcer and all the other parents and helpers that provided their time and support over the weekend. We couldn't have done it without you!